Google

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The seat is my father...

It is nothing new that the MRT is packed like 'ants in a honey pot', anytime of the day. Sometimes, that in itself is already quite irritating. To add on, there are so many people who will shuffle for seats whenever they see one, regardless of how far they are from the seat, to the extent that they can push people who are in their way. This is what I call, 'The seat is my father'-syndrome.

Not surprisingly, a lot of such people are the typical aunties and uncles below 50 years old. Seriously, I get so irritated when I see such people. It almost feels like they are running over to see their long-lost father, without giving any regards to the inconvenience they bring to other people when they do such things.

I'm not against them taking the seats, just that they could have done it in a better way, without pushing other people, or without being so overly obvious that they are desperate for the seat. It is quite ungracious socially to behave in such a manner.

I get even more displeased, knowing that the tax money I pay will go to this group of people in the future... Maybe the government could spend the money on helping these people achieve social graciousness, so that they can carry themselves better in the public. It will pay off in the long run, I supposed, since if these people are more socially graceful, it could portray a more positive image to tourists and foreigners who uses the MRT as well, instead of giving them the impression that Singaporeans are lacking in so many areas (impressions management).

Oh, another idea to help curb the 'The seat is my father'-syndrome might be to increase train frequencies, so people don't have to rush for seats.

1 Comments:

Blogger ashburn said...

i love how u put everything into perspective hahaha!

-ashlyn

12:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home