Google

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Vulgarities or art?

[Fuck off, dude!]
Recently, it seems like many bloggers have turned to swearing to attract attention. Although I'm not exactly a newbie to blogging (I did have a nonsensical blog ages ago!), it was interesting to know how much I didn't know about the blogger's world.

I visited several 'famous' (or infamous, does it really matter?) blogs and I was appalled by the language used in a certain local female blogger's blog. The language used was coarse and there was poor sentence logic. There were uncalled for use of vulgarities and the whole package was distasteful. I'm not trying to say that I don't swear or what, but undeniably, some people carry off that kind of behaviour better than others. I mean, people who know me would remember me as being vulgar, and well, at least if I were to swear, people would not see it as 'weird'. However, if someone were to portray a cutie-pie image but subsequently, he or she start swearing on his/her blog, doesn't that seem weird?

Besides, it seems that people will tend to associate bloggers to certain communities or organisations. The point here is, each and everyone of us represents not just ourselves, but also, our communities and affiliations. What we say should reflect thought rather than making insensitive or insensible remarks which might otherwise tarnished the image or reputation of the 'bigger picture' that we might be in.

Back to the point on vulgarities. Vulgarities can be an art, if used tastefully (like how I use them sparingly to emphasize a point). But then again, the point about vulgarities is that who really defines the definition of vulgarities? I mean, words like 'vagina' or 'penis' are often used as 'vulgarities' in dialect languages, but by themselves, aren't they just names of human reproductive organs?

Something for everyone to ponder about...

1 Comments:

Blogger ckoo said...

Just say XIAXUE. She does not deserve to remain anonymous.

Here, I'll even link to the appalling misuse of the English language that is her blog:

http://xiaxue.blogspot.com/

1:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home